Monday, April 20, 2020

Tonight...



Tonight
The basement has that sweet disquieting scent of rotting fruit
Like maybe there’s an apple or an apple core in some bag somewhere down there...
Or a spilled juice... or broken cider bottle...

Tonight
I told my fourteen year old that for every hour that she spends listening to Tyga or Curtis Roach or Doja Cat or whoever that she had to spend ten minutes listening to Wu Tang or Tribe, or Common...
She was like okay...
And I realized I sounded like my old man talking about Creedence and the Eagles...
And I realized some of the Wu Tang raps might not be great for my fourteen year old daughter because of how they talk about women...


Tonight
The middlest, the most avid reader, got shocked by her bedside light and it blew...
And the bulbs are good - but two lights in her room straight up just don’t work.
I took it apart once before and re-wired it to the best of my ability
So I’m praying we don’t have an electrical issue cause how you gonna deal with an electrician during a pandemic

Tonight
dinner came out of the freezer
And it was good enough

Tonight
We walked around the block
And took the long way

Tonight
The tiny cut on my thumb
From where I sliced it
Sharpening my pocket knife yesterday
Stings like crazy

Tonight
I am trying to keep the fanatics out of my mind
I am trying to keep the fundamentalists extremists out of my mind
I am trying to keep the imbecile at the helm
And his incompetent, ill-equipped team...
Out of my mind.
I am trying not to think about testing
And contact tracing
And what those things mean for our future
And our democracy
And our civil liberties.
I am trying not to think about the after
And if there will be one...
Because at this point i am pretty sure there’s not a back to normal...
But I’m sure there will be the next phase
And i am hoping that it means
Leaning into love
For more of us
And not leaning into the abyss...

Tonight
I am listening to the new Fiona Apple album.



1 comment:

  1. <3 This. All of this right down to the New Fiona Apple Record. I have a funny smelling couch (not the basement this time.) ...I think it is stinky doggos. I cooked everything all day long...The Eldersquid told me that I cannot tell him anything to do for the next two to three weeks because he is heading into finals. He doesn't have any time at all for anyone...not even for a little anime watching. My Littler Squidlette seems ok for now...but judging by her schedule the stuff is about the hit the fan. The old guy is working on class work just about 18 hours per day/everyday as far as I can tell and I am just an angry baking/cooking/cleaning person...who sometimes cries for no real reason. I feel like I have ne nerve left and that one is frayed. Hang in there friend. xoxoMarianne

    ReplyDelete