Monday, March 23, 2020

The new normal is not my favorite phrase



Don’t call it the new normal
I said
There’s nothing normal about it
You’re right she said
I don’t know what I’m saying
its okay none of us do

We don’t know how much things will change
Or what the changes will be
Or who we love that will be hurt
And to think
Some people who are alive right now
This is all they have ever known
And how will this impact our future
And the future of our children
And how they see and  move through the world...

I have had this pain in my leg for a couple weeks
Starting at my hip/thigh and radiating down into my knee and calf...
It’s gotten worse over the last couple of days
So that i can barely sit in a normal chair at all
Without wincing
When i walk
Or move
Or stand the pain lessons
It is an acute throb
A radiating aching kind of tightness
Tylenol and naproxen don’t seem to work
I have been dragging my feet thinking its not a good time to go to the doctor
I am never great about making doctors appointments
But if it weren’t for this pandemic
I probably would have called by now...

My genius wife being the genius that she is
Suggested the chiropractor
Thankfully the chiropractor in our village is still operating
She’s also a family friend
So... that’s nice
But its so strange to walk in to a usually warm, open friendly office
And be asked to stop at the door
For a temp
In a warm and friendly way...
It makes sense and i am grateful for the precaution to be honest...
But its a change
Necessary for these strange times...

The 14 year old,
Li’l Chaos,
Social butterfly,
Active soul,
The kid who needed a leash at 2 years old
Reached her limit tonight
She’s tired of being in this house
Tired of the space
Tired of laying awake at night

I didn’t have an answer for her
i feel the same way
I can rub your back
I said
It wont help
She said
We had a nice long hug
And i started to rub her back
As we stood in the doorway
And she started to melt
And I could see her eyelids getting heavy
Do you want me to rub your back?
Will you?
Yes...

I am glad we have each other.


1 comment: